I've been thinking about starting a blog ever since I first laid eyes on Rhonda's Down to Earth blog quite a few years ago. (Can you tell I'm a procrastinator?) I even went so far as setting up a blog template yonks ago but by the time I'd summoned up the courage to post I'd forgotten the password to get in. Anyway, I've spent the last few days playing around, changing the name, the look......my mind and now, here I am.
This is my diary of my life I guess. I don't expect to get many visitors and I expect I could sound incredibly boring to some people so I'll give you a little insight into my world.
I work 15 hrs a week as a teacher-aide at a local school. I love to cook and dabble in different crafty-type activities such as quilting, sewing, making soap, lip balms and body bars. I'll go hard-out with my craft of the moment and then lose interest and start something else.
Our garden is someplace else where I've been procrastinating. We have in the past had wonderful food-producing gardens but over the past year I haven't managed to keep it up and have only a few herbs, salad green and perpetual spinach in one small bed. Big changes are coming, have planted out quite a few seed trays over the weekend so things are looking up in that direction.
The main focus of this blog will be food, I cook mostly from scratch and we very rarely have takeaways. My aim is to diarize most meals that I prepare and cook, hopefully with photos. Enough rambling and lets get on with it.
Sunday is usually my biggest day in the kitchen with baking, making yoghurt, bread and usually a roast of some description using the leftovers for lunches during the week. It is the school holidays so a beef stir fry with rice was the choice this week. A plain white plaited loaf, fruit-cake, and chocolate brownie filled the oven.
Monday we travelled into Hastings to replace the printer and picked up bits and pieces from Binn Inn and the Asian Grocery Store. In our rural town supermarket I can pay $7 for a pack of nori-sheets which I refuse to do yet I can buy 3 packs for the same price at the Asian store. Binn Inn items were lentils, seeds and baking soda. Back home again where dinner was put on and bread-maker on for the dough cycle. (my breadmaker is ancient and is only ever used for the dough cycle) I usually find I can get a bigger loaf made from the oven. The recipe I have makes a decent 1kg of dough and I adjust flours etc depending on what I'm making. Today was multi-grain.
Yesterday I spent re-doing my husbands CV, he is applying for a couple of jobs in Australia, but more on that if or when it happens. My lounge looks like a chinese laundry at times, so difficult to get the washing dry in this horrible weather, so some of it gets bought in to dry near the fire. I refuse to use a dryer. Youngest daughter had a friend over for the night, they watched movies and then co-erced older daughter to play cluedo with them. Dinner was Wonton Soup, all homemade and not too bad, seconds all round.
Just to round off the night.........an earthquake!! We get the odd tremor now and again but this was one of the strongest and went on for a good 25 seconds.
Okay, that's enough for now........phew, first post done!
.
No comments:
Post a Comment